Thursday, January 24, 2008

All the Negativity That's in This Country Sucks

My own spin on a great quote from Rick Pitino when he was Coach of the Boston Celtics. The quote is "all the negativity that's in this town sucks." Now he was talking about the fans and their dislike for his job as Coach of the Celtics. I use it because of all the negativity that surrounds this election. Not that there is anything new about negativity in politics, my experience working in talk radio has really opened my eyes. But the negativity I see isn't just from Conservatives, it's also from Liberals. Both sides have their fair share of kooks. The things that complete strangers have said to me over the phone would make jaw's drop. I've had threatening email's directed to me and the host. I'm frustrated with the approach of people when it comes to disagreements with beliefs. Yes politics matter, but at some point we have to realize that there is more to life. And when you spend all your time consumed by politics you'll be like me, cranky, bitter and tired of it all. I suppose that outcome is in direct contradiction of how I want to feel. Hmmm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog BK. Everyone needs their own personal ventilation system . . . does yours come with emergency shut-off??

Regarding negativity, the thing that gets me are the folks on both sides of the aisle, both politicians and television media pundits with their own agendas, who believe by yelling louder, by interupting more in debates and/or analysis (because whatever they're saying has to be more important and relevant than the other guy/gal), by dragging their opponent or the other side through the mud again and again, well, by God that's the best way to attract voters . . . not to mention attentin to yourself. I'm sick of all of them.

There actually are people in this country who can cut through the BS and negativity on their own and arrive at something resembling the truth quite nicely . . . without the help of candidates and/or advocates telling us their quarter-truth.

You're right, there is indeed more to life than what Hillary, Barack, Mitt and Co. think about Iraq, the economy and fixing Washington. Granted, what they're talking about affects our lives profoundly. But you know what? I've been voting since 1976 and I'm just not sure there's anyone out there that will do that much more than anyone who has come before him/her. They all talk and boast a great game; then they get in office and it's "same-old, same-old."

Great, now I'm cranky. The only remedy, as I see it, is to enter my own, personal decompression "chamber": Playing with my two daughters.

Anonymous said...

I totally see where you are coming from on the aspect of negative media as it pertains to politics. As a person in the media(you), it must be hard to sift through all of the divisional tactics used by politician's to gain a vote. I think possibly you have to look past the inclination that politics is a part of the media, and try to tap into your voice as a seeker for social change. I mean isn't politics just that. Finding the best candidate who closest-represents your view on social change. Radio/media/(propaganda) is just a well established vehicle for discussing ideas and at the same time it acts a literal sounding board for social topic. Weather they be leftist, conservative, fundamentalist, black, or lesbian it doesn't matter. It is the challenge of the well informed listeners to gage and gather validity on the content and context of what is being said.

Anonymous said...

I totally know where you coming from, and being in evolved in the media it must be hard to sift out the actually and grasp on to some sort of truth. Bu ti f you look at politics for the fashion show thats it has become what's left? The issues and if you try to focus your attention on what candidate speaks to your beliefs. Politic can be almost a voice for the little guy. I think if you try to be a listener and a understand the issues all of glits and negative bullshit gets pushed to the side.