Monday, January 28, 2008

Time of the Year

So far with this blog I've vented on some topics concerning Politics. With my job being centered around Politics I suppose that's not very odd. I did say that my blog would be about other topics as well including life and sports. Well today I got the itch to write about sports. Some of you that know me, know that I am a huge Cubs fan. I love the Cubs more than any team that has ever played a game competitively. Baseball in January? Yes I know that the temperature is below zero but my lovely Wife just planned a trip to Mesa, AZ where I will take in Cubs spring training. Baseball in January is a great idea in my book. Most everyone knows the plite of the Cub fan for those that don't it's simple. They haven't won a World Series in 100 years. That's triple digits. My Grandfather lived a life time and never saw it. My Ma has been alive nearly 60 years and she's never seen it. They've been cursed (literaly and with expletives from the frusturated fan) they've also been poorly run and fans have lived by the motto "wait 'til next year". But now things have changed. Lou Pinella is in town and the Cubs are doing what all great American companies should do, put the profit back into the product! Fantastic players will soon wear the "other" pinstripes. To understand Cub fans you must step foot into the most magical place on earth, Wrigley Field. My Wife was there for the first time last year. She never quite understood why I was so worked up about the Cubs. Then she made it to Wrigley. When you first step into Wrigley you see the neighborhood surrounding the field. You see the sunshing, you hear the organ playing. There's no digital scoreboard with trivia, there isn't a mascot driving around the field. There is the Cubs and the opponent and it reminds you of simple fun. Even when they don't win it's still just a great place to be. So as I work with the lovely Sare Bear to put together our trip I will work on containing my joy of seeing my favorite players. I'm ready for this season, I'm ready for them to lose, I'm also ready to enjoy every minute of it. Go Cubs!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lou!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your loyalty it something similar to what I have for the Twins and really all minnesota teams in general. I am a cubs fan though too, just like Notre Dame football I have my side-deal favorites. I remember being a little kid watching Andre dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, and the rest. Not sure they really have the pieces coming into this season to go far but nobody in the NL central is overpowering so we shall see. As for the twins with cleveland and Detroit getting Cabera and Willis I guess we are gearing up for 2010 and the new stadium or something times are going to get rough!!

Anonymous said...

This is Brendan's mother aka mom dukes testing the comment line. I've never blogged or responded to a blog.

Anonymous said...

it worked